14 December 2007

Cooking with Brent

As you may know I like to watch cooking shows, taking ingredients and mixing them together in just the right quantity to make something fabulous. Having watched many shows and also spending time actually cooking I feel that there are things I can pass on to aid in your cooking endeavors.

Ashley requested a pumpkin roll for her birthday. I have never made a pumpkin or any other roll for that matter. I'll admit I was a little nervous. I pictured a crumbled pile of cake with the filling spread on top. So following the directions very carefully I proceeded to cook. The instructions said to "lay out a clean dish towel (do they really need to tell you to use a clean towel? seriously) "dusted with powdered sugar to turn the cake onto..." So I had my towel all prepared and I was ready to turn the cake over onto it. Not wanting to have it break, or go other than where I wanted it to go I turned it over quickly and probably a little too hard. Instead of having a towel dusted with powdered sugar I had a kitchen dusted with powdered sugar, it went everywhere. I know what you’re all thinking, "your man wouldn't have done that...", and your probably right, but this was my first time. So after the cloud of sugar dissipated I proceeded to pull off the wax paper and roll the cake. At this point I was feeling a little better about the success of the endeavor, but still a little worried. So I proceeded to mix the filling and let the cake cool. Once cool, I carefully unrolled the cake from the towel and proceeded to spread the gooey cream cheese mixture on it. Once frosted it got rolled up and placed in the fridge to cool.


The end product was amazing, if I do say so myself. So if any of you are brave enough to try the pumpkin roll (recipe on the Libby pumpkin can) be careful not to dust your entire kitchen in powdered sugar.

9 comments:

Roy said...

Brent, that is hilarious -- I can totally see you just standing there with dust swirling around you with that look on your face that says, "Did I really just do that?" Priceless.

John and Laura said...

Good job! I'm impressed. It looks yummy!

La

John said...

If chef Brent can have that many problems, I can only imagine what it would have looked like if I'd done it. Mmmm ... Pumpkin Roll.

Anonymous said...

You are totally the best cook, EVER! You need to make one when you are here!!! I am glad you are such a good cook and like it. That is a neat hobby! Your man would be proud!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Brent you are an amazing cook!
I'm convinced that you and "your man" are identical twins!!!
Keep writing...you're very funny!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice job Brent! Did it taste as amazing as it looks?

Jess said...

Brent-- where are you?? We miss your blogs :)

Katie & Jared said...

Seriously Brent, I think its time for an update! We miss your fun to read blogs.

Jess said...

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!